A beautiful thing happened this week. I was able to lock the security screens and leave all the interior doors in the house open at night! That's right, the temperature overnight has finally fallen below the temperature we keep the AC set at. It's one of my favorite times of year!
This week we had a lot going on. We talked to Felicity on Monday, and our conversation was shorter than it's been lately. Partially because she was splitting her preparation day between Monday and Friday so they could go to the temple on Friday, but also because she just seems to be doing better in her new companionship and needs that reassurance from home a little less. Arlo had band rehearsal Monday night, and Phil was teaching Fire Academy, so I got to hang out with my favorite five-year-old.
Jude enjoyed music class on Tuesday, and Arlo volunteered to play at a girls' flag football game in the evening, so Phil went to mutual without him. We were pleasantly surprised to learn that Jude was chosen to be Student of the Week at Copper Ridge this week. He was very proud of himself, and we are proud of him too.
Arlo had his choir performance on Thursday. It was really good! I was surprised at how good all of the choirs sounded. Usually the beginning choir is a little rough, and even that was pleasant. The whole tuba section and a couple of Arlo's other friends showed up at the choir performance to support him. They may have also been there to distract him, as he kept glancing their way and having to stifle a snicker while he was trying to perform.
Phil and I took a rare opportunity to go on a date Friday afternoon. Phil picked up our groceries on the way home from work, and I dropped Jude off at the bus, went for my run, and then dropped Arlo off at the bus. Phil and I were then free to drive to the temple. We had an 11 AM appointment, but I got a phone call on the way there and was waiting for a follow-up call that I couldn't miss. Instead, we spent about an hour sitting in the shade and talking on the temple grounds. We stopped for lunch at LongHorn Steakhouse and had a lovely afternoon together. Later, Jude helped us do the neighbor's grocery shopping and some additional running around.
Phil worked on Saturday, so Jude and I hung out. He went for a short one-mile run with me in the morning. I ended up running 15 miles this week and stand at 55 miles for the month of September! We built towers, cleaned house, and in the afternoon ran to Hobby Lobby for some yarn and stopped at Chick-fil-A for lunch together. We had a pretty good day.
I also finished reading Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate, which was so good. If you're looking for something well written and touching, but also something that leaves you truly flabbergasted because it's based in truth, it's an excellent read.
Arlo left Friday evening for the Northern Arizona University campus, where his band was participating in the Bands of America Arizona Regional competition. They drove to Flagstaff Friday evening, stayed the night, and then participated in the competition all day Saturday. I heard it was a lot of fun. They didn't do as well as they had hoped, but there were thirteen bands competing, with more than half coming from outside Arizona and only three from the greater Tucson area.
Helen was able to attend the BOA competition and cheer for her alma mater—and her little brother.I had to pick Arlo up from Cienega at 4 AM on Sunday morning and went straight back to bed when we got home! We enjoyed church later that morning, and I think my Sunday School lesson went well.
Felicity messaged us with a sweet picture and some wonderful news. The gentleman she's been teaching for the last few weeks decided to be baptized on Sunday. What a lovely way to end the week.









No comments:
Post a Comment