I had four cakes to make this week. I made two cakes for my dad’s retirement party at work. Jan helped me considerably with the templates for the cutouts. It was nice to be able to attend the party as well since I’m on the plant site now too. I got quite a few compliments on them and was asked for about four business cards with my information on them. Then on Saturday I had two birthday cakes. One was more difficult for me only in that it had a couple of new techniques and it didn’t have any fondant elements which are really in my comfort zone. Jeff is very patient with the mess I create in the kitchen each time I do cake orders. At this point I have almost any tool that I need for fulfilling cake orders, so I’m going to save my earnings to buy a new kitchen aide stand mixer or an upgraded cutting machine (mine is not very reliable in cutting fondant/gum paste).
Work is going well, I’m still waiting patiently for word that I will be hired full time. I have until June 27th to secure permanent employment at which time my contract will expire. We have faith that whatever is best for our family is what will work out. We are expecting our tax return at the beginning of next week, although, we have not decided what we are going to do about our vehicle situation. Jeff and I sat down and came up with six options for the money after we put a percentage in savings. (Option 1) Buy a brand new car and make payments, have no money left over for debt reduction (Option 2) Buy a used 7 passenger vehicle out right, no payments, have some money left over for debt reduction (Option 3) Buy a used, smaller vehicle out right, no payments, cramped room, more money left over for debt reduction (Option 4) Fix the van and hope that it lasts another year, much more money left over for debt reduction (Option 5) Do nothing, spend all the money on debt reduction, hope for the best (Option 6) Quit my job, live off the money for as long as possible. Ok so the last two were really not serious options…just something to humor us as we discuss all of our options. We ruled out option one as we do not know what our income situation will be after June and are a little gun shy of debt. After some debate we are between options 2, 3, and 4. We had the van looked at, and it was determined that there was a crack in the radiator and there was a problem with the relay to the fan. We have one estimate that the repair will be $1,200. We’ve been out to look at used cars over the past couple of weeks. The nice thing about buying from a used dealer is they would likely take our van, which would mean we would escape the hassle of trying to sell it ourselves, that, and we could get a warrantee. But we can probably get a better price and avoid paying tax on a private sale. A larger vehicle meets our needs and gives us plenty of room; a smaller vehicle would be more economical, although not as comfortable. This option is in hopes that I am hired this summer and we could afford a new large vehicle. We’re still out on what it is that we are going to do. At this poing we've figured it would be best to decide when we have cash in hand and see what is available. Wish us luck!
We had a cold rainy night in Sahuarita last night, but Nana and Papa’s house got snow, so we took the girls over this morning to play in the snow, it was a lot of fun for them. It is so neat when it happens here, I am grateful it’s not a several months out of the year thing.
Time just keeps slipping by us, sometimes I wish we could pause so that we didn't feel we were being passed by. We feel so blessed and are very happy.




